Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Osmosis Jones

     Last Class we watched Osmosis Jones. I remember watching this movie once as a kid, but I really did not understand what was going on besides the fact that Jones and Drix were trying to catch some bad guy. Now that I actually understand all of the biology behind the movie, I think that it is more educational than I thought.



http://www.deviantart.com/morelikethis/261191754


     The movie teaches you about how a white blood cell (Jones) can destroy bacteria and viruses. It also shows how a white blood cell can diffuse through vines and arteries to get to an infected area (as seen when Osmosis Jones diffuses through walls and other things).

     The movie also shows how the hypothalamus controls many of your body's homeostasis. When Thax (the virus guy) messed with the hypothalamus, he caused the temperature of Frank's body to go from 98.6 degrees ferinheight, which is the body's normal temperature, all the way up to 108 degrees, which can cause death (scarlet fever).

http://humanbiologylab.pbworks.com/w/page/74187719/homeostasis%20of%20body%20temperature


     Since I missed this on my test, I think that I should explained how homeostasis of body temperature works. First of all, this is a negative feedback system, so your body has a set temperature that it would like to stay at. When your body temperature increases, hypothalamus gets a signal that tells it to start sweating. When you sweat, the water is evaporated and heat is lost, allowing your body to cool down. When you are too cold, your hypothalamus gets a signal and tells your muscles to start contracting (shaking) which generates heat, warming your body.


     The movie also talked about how red blood cells transported oxygen throughout the body, which would be the respiratory and circulatory system.

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2011/jun/08/magnetic-fields-reduce-blood-viscosity

     There is a lot more that this movie goes over, but I would like to wait until I finish the movie before I talk about the rest of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment